• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Loan Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BarbaraAnn

I purchased a used car (93 Honda Accord SE) approximately 10 days ago. I got a call from the dealership a few days ago asking me to come in and resign a new contract as they had made a 2.50 error on the first one. The bank refused to finance me unless a new contract was drawn up and signed by me. In the mean time, I have been having problems with the car. There is something wrong with the brakes (the ABS light is on) and with the stearing. So, since I am not supposedly financed as of yet I would rather return the car and go find a more dependable one somewhere else. I told this to the dealer and he refused to take the car back. He told me that if I did not sign the new contract he would just call the bank and "make them" push the original contract through. Can he get away with that? I have been told that you have 2 weeks to get out of any contract? Is that true? What can I do to get out of this? I don't want a car that I have to take to the shop all the time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraAnn:
I purchased a used car (93 Honda Accord SE) approximately 10 days ago. I got a call from the dealership a few days ago asking me to come in and resign a new contract as they had made a 2.50 error on the first one. The bank refused to finance me unless a new contract was drawn up and signed by me. In the mean time, I have been having problems with the car. There is something wrong with the brakes (the ABS light is on) and with the stearing. So, since I am not supposedly financed as of yet I would rather return the car and go find a more dependable one somewhere else. I told this to the dealer and he refused to take the car back. He told me that if I did not sign the new contract he would just call the bank and "make them" push the original contract through. Can he get away with that? I have been told that you have 2 weeks to get out of any contract? Is that true? What can I do to get out of this? I don't want a car that I have to take to the shop all the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Ah, yes. The pitfalls of buying a used car. Now you know why they're slime, don't you. Unfortunately, you bought the car. End of story. Yes, he could "push" the contract, by paying the $2.50 himself. Prior to purchase, you had an opportunity to have the vehicle inspected my your own mechanic, but failed to do so. Apparently, the car was sold to you without a warranty, and now you're on the hook. The dealer owes you no more duty, unless there's "fraud" involved; but, it doesn't sound like it. There is no such thing as having "2 weeks" to get out of a written contract. You're probably thinking of a contract that is signed in your own home (home solicitation contracts) and in that instance only, you only have 72 hours to cancel that type of contract. In this instance, you went to the dealership. No cancellation, no take-backs, and no fingers crossed. Buyer's remorse is a real pain.

IAAL

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">