• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recourse for not disclosing??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gtlikestobike

purchased used Accord in N.C. from private party- seller disclosed only that cruise did not work and repairs that he had done on distributor after being asked about condition. took to mechanic. mechanic said motor is mechanically sound. purchased car and numerous problems other than motor appearing. ignition switch catching, window leaking (not rolling up properly)not noticed day driven, and trunk leaking and smelling musty. sellers had a very strong air freshener in car to hide musty smell. sellers still have key to car they promised to send me but one month later still no key. is seller not obligated to disclose all information especially when asked about general problems?? what are my options??

[Edited by gtlikestobike on 06-27-2001 at 08:07 PM]

L

lildevil719

recourse for not disclosing

Hopefully, when you bought the car, you got a bill of sale. if you did, check the bill of sale. If it says anywhere on there "As Is" then you have absolutely no recourse. I'm not sure what the law is in N.C., but where I live, you can't take action against a private seller for not disclosing problems. The seller can always just say, well, I never had that problem, so I didn't know about it. It's different when you buy from a dealer, but in private party sales, there's pretty much nothing you can do, at least not here. I would take it to a mechanic, get it fully checked out and get an estimate of how much it would cost to fix it. Then if it's more than 1/4 of what you paid for the car, you might want to just cut your losses and get another car. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">