• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit over webpage name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CivilRightsRebel

Hello, I’ve spoken with you on past occasions and always appreciate your advice.

My question to you is this. If I register a internet domain or URL with a name for example: www.ameritechsucks.com And on this page I happened to record and track defective merchandise produced by Ameritech as well as post complaint or horror stories from people who purchased products by Ameritech or had unpleasant experiences with them in whatever fashion. Is this illegal in any manor? Aren’t I acting much like Consumer Report by doing this? Am I infringing on any copyright laws in regards to the company’s name and my URL being somewhat similar?

Why I ask: I have a friend who did such a thing. Also, such a thing is happening to him now. He received a registered letter 3/9/00 (NOT from the company listed above) stating (in a nutshell) that he’s committing copyright fraud and defamation of character. Unless he hands over rights to that domain name they state they’ll take legal action. In my opinion he’s the legal registrant to that name therefore has whatever right to post whatever material.

Please enlighten me.

L

Lg2

well, i do know that some internet names are upheld as permissible, but the ones I have heard of involve political speech

(www.georgebushsucks.com or something like that)

and that was protected

As to commenting on an institution, you might try the electronic freedom foundation, the aclu, or www.clarkhoward.com for possible answers

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">