• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do I find out where a debtors bank and bank account is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rocket57

I have a perfected security interest against a large US corporation. This includes the
filing of several UCC-1 Financing statements in several states where this corporation
does business.

I am preparing to take posession of their corporate collateral to satisfy the outstanding debt.

How do I find out where this corporation does their banking and what their bank account numbers are so I can proceed in the collection process?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rocket57:
I have a perfected security interest against a large US corporation. This includes the
filing of several UCC-1 Financing statements in several states where this corporation
does business.

I am preparing to take posession of their corporate collateral to satisfy the outstanding debt.

How do I find out where this corporation does their banking and what their bank account numbers are so I can proceed in the collection process?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Locating assets: Obviously, the first step is to discover the nature, extent and location of defendant's "attachable" assets (in the case of individual defendants, meaning assets not exempt from attachment.

Depositions or interrogatories? There is no specific authority in the attachment law allowing creditors to depose debtors or propound interrogatories to discover their attachable assets after suit is filed and before issuance of the RTAO order. Some courts have refused to allow such asset-related questions. However, other courts uphold such discovery on the theory the questions are relevant to the subject matter of the litigation (see Ca Civ Pro § 2017(a)).

In any event, discovery of assets after issuance of the RTAO is permitted. [Ca Civ Pro § 485.230]

Determining defendant's equity: Plaintiff may attach only defendant's equity in nonexempt property. Thus, plaintiff should discover whether defendant's attachable personal property is subject to perfected security interests and personal property liens, and whether real property is subject to liens and encumbrances.

Personal property: Many types of security interests, tax liens and judgment liens affecting personal property are filed with the California Secretary of State. However, some liens (e.g., those on vehicles, boats and aircraft) are not so filed.

The Secretary's office will conduct a search and send a report and copies of all liens and effective UCC-1's if plaintiff files a UCC-3 request with the required fee. However, it can take weeks to obtain the report and copies. Faster--but more expensive--service can be obtained from private search companies located in Sacramento, e.g., Data Search, Inc.

Locating assets: Absent direct payment by the debtor, a judgment can only be satisfied out of available, nonexempt assets. Most sophisticated debtors do not volunteer the existence of such property and, therefore, it is your job to find it. Assets may be located through:

· Prelawsuit investigation;

· Information or leads obtained directly from the judgment creditor-client;

· Formal discovery during the lawsuit, e.g., interrogatories, business record subpoenas, document production requests, etc.; and

· Postjudgment examination of the debtor or third persons holding the debtor's property or owing the debtor money.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">