• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Saleman Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moemaid

16 days ago I went in to purchase a car at a car dealer here in my town, (I had previously purchased 3 other vehicles from them). A new sales manager had greeted me at the door. This experiance has been very eye opening. Anyway, I had my own bank and I knew what price range I wanted, as my previous purchases there. This guy told me he could get me financed thru a bank where he could get me thousands of dollars in discounts and rebates, I told him, I had my own bank, but he persisted. First he had me drive an 17,000 buck car, which was way out of my price range, I was looking for 13 or so, he kept saying "Don't worry, these discounts will get you where you want to be!" So, time went on that day...(I WAS THERE FOR 7 HOURS!!) When HE filled out the paperwork he told me that I needed an extra extended warrenty for 4,000 bucks, if I didn't get it, the bank would not float me the loan. HE LIED TO ME....a single woman, with strict financial restrictions!!!!! Well, to say the least, I HAD A FIT!!!! I let him write the contract, to see how far he would go, gap insurance, this insurance, oil change and tune up offer, (600 bucks). After I went into the office to go over the financial paperwork with the finance lady, I began to question all these things. She confirmed that I DID NOT NEED THEM....so HE DID LIE...out right....on purpose....it took 15 days to close this deal and I ended up going to MY FREAKIN' BANK anyway....I am disgusted and appalled that this kind of crap is going on....and I want to do something...I complained to all in the chain of command, I only got an offer to go 50/50 on a CD player...I would have to pay 150 bucks...ARE THEY KIDDING???? I am going to go on a campaign to expose these people....I am sooo surprised that this has happened..I loved that dealership at one time...but now it has gone to the PIGS...please tell me...what can I do legally?? Is this sort of thing against the law?? What now...
I also am curious, how many people before me have paid this extra warrenty?????

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer questions like this.

Monica
Augusta, GA

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I certainly sympathize with your frustrations; however, a salesman is doing his job when he attempts or succeeds in selling. The problem is in the proving what was said in order to make the sale.

When I was a lot younger, I was so fed up with the Volkswagen dealer that I made up a HUGE cardboard sign, attached a broomstick handle to it, and marched across his his driveway, on the sidewalk . . . back and forth, back and forth, all day long. More than a few potential buyers and others wouldn't cross my "picket line." What did the sign say? It had a big LEMON on it saying, "I got mine here!"

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

ben

First off I simple love this web site! If there is anything I can do to help feel free to ask.
As I am an auto mechanic by trade and have sold thousands of cars in my life I can tell you that used car salesman deserve the reputation they have!
The object here is to SELLSELLSELSELLSELL
Not to help, or edcucate, or be truthfull.
My advice is #1 know what you want before entering the arena; and refuse to let him use any words that don't answer your specific question.Don't be afraid to insult him .( this is war)
Make sure you are in charge not him.
#2 BRING A TAPE RECORDER WITH YOU !
tell him your have it on.
If you ever feel
overwelmed or confused -LEAVE!!!
buying a car is simple
1- acertain if the car is what it appears to be. Meaning bring a mechanic with you.
2- check out the price before you visit the dealer. NADA on the web or many others
3- if the car ain't broke and the price is right buy it. and hope the mechanic you brought with you doesn't work for the same used car dealer.
Make the mechanic you bring with you be "your warentee"
I always buy from privite people.
That way the car has to sell itself, not some hired gunslinger
Thanks for spending a little time with me BEN

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">