• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resident vs. non-resident tuition.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swise

My fiancee moved with me to Alabama when I took a job. She resumed her education at the school here. The school has been charging her out-of-state tuition. She is an Alabama resident, and even meets the schools definition. However, they argue that since we are not married, she is transient. I plan to sue them in small claims for each semester for the additional cost. What are my options, what should I do?

D

dorenephilpot

Sounds like you need to write a letter to the administration, detailing what their own policy states and then stating (and showing proof) of how she meets those criteria.

You also need to request that she be charged at the in-state rate from the time that she meets the school's own eligibility standards.

My guess is that this will take care of your problem.

If it doesn't, the option is always available to pay the out-of-state rate or simply choose to go to another school.

My guess is that your suit would be tossed out of small claims court because she knew the higher fees were being assessed but enrolled anyway.

If it's a state- or federally funded school, you might have some other issues, but I couldn't tell from the information you gave in the question.

Hope this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">