• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hey, Ben - - are you there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I couldn't stand it anymore. Here's what you show them if they call or write to you. If they want to press matters, tell them to go pound sand. If they keep pressing their luck, you tell 'em I'll talk to them !!

Here's the law:

Consumers may legally be sent only two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement. 1. Free samples that are clearly and conspicuously marked as such, and 2. Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization, which is soliciting contributions. In these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.

These rules are codified in Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009. That section of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 incorporates these protections for American consumers and makes the mailing of unordered merchandise (other than free samples and the goods mailed by charities soliciting donations) unfair methods of competition and unfair trade practices under the law.

If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

If you have not opened the package, you may mark it "Return to Sender" and the Postal Service will return it with no additional postage charged to you.
If you open the package and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.
If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.
In addition, it is illegal for the sender of any illegally mailed unordered merchandise to mail to the recipient of that merchandise a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact your local postmaster or the nearest postal inspector. Complaints may also be sent to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Operations Support Group, Chicago, Attention: Fraud Complaints Section, 433 West Van Buren Street, 7th Floor, Chicago, IL 60607-5401.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

ben

I'm here!
I sent you an e-mail of the letter I sent to micron and their response. feel free to post it here if you want to .( in case anyone else is following this)
I did send a certified letter to the credit card company; but never got a response.
Looking foward to your reply.
[email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ben:
I'm here!
I sent you an e-mail of the letter I sent to micron and their response. feel free to post it here if you want to .( in case anyone else is following this)
I did send a certified letter to the credit card company; but never got a response.
Looking foward to your reply.
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben:

I checked and have received nothing !! Can you post them here?

Thanks,

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

ben

here goes_From: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 2:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bennett pepper

Bennett,

Thank you for contacting Micron PC customer service support center.

I apologize on behalf of the company in regards to the issue you describe
Below. Your experience with our sales representative was unacceptable. I
Cannot provide an adequate explanation for what you encountered, however, I
Can assure you it is not indicative of the type of service we provide.

Because of the circumstances, we would be more than happy to take back this
PC if you choose not to keep it. We would of course refund all your money
Including paying for the freight to and from your home.

If you would like to keep this PC; I would be more then happy to assist you
With this matter. I look forward to coming to a solution we can both be
Satisfied with, please advice me on any specifics that could help in this
Situation. Again, we want to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused
You.

Awaiting your reply,

Jamie T.
Customer Service, Micron PC, Inc.
[email protected] http://www.micronpc.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 5:42 PM
Subject: Customer Service Email Form

Issue: Other
Address: [email protected]
Name: Bennett pepper
Customer Number: 2042825
Serial Number: 2039104-0001
Order Number: there is none. Because I never ordered
Anything!!!!!!!!
Phone Number: 9144698236
Notes: To whom it may concern:

Near the end of November I went on your Internet site and entered the specifications for my "dream" computer. I called on the phone and inquired about your " 6 months same as cash" deal. I spoke to a lady named Sarah Kent. She was very informative. She told me there was a 28-day waiting period for the newest Pentium. As I wanted this as a Christmas gift for my stepson I told her that there is no point ordering anything now. I distinctly remember saying that I'd
Wait a few months for the 800 MHz chip to be out, and then I'll order the latest and
Greatest. A few days later she called me back, and wanted to know why I
Didn’t return her phone call. I said something to the effect of "don't call me I'll call you".
I was on vacation for New Year's and not home when UPS delivered a
Package to my house. My 14 year old "minor" stepson signed for it and
Thinking it was a belated Christmas gift, ripped open the boxes and
Installed all his software. As far as I know, there is a legal term for this.
"Slamming".
I find it incredulously rude, and rather disturbing. I never asked for
This system, I never received any form of confirmation, and when phoned o n
The matter I clearly (and distinctly) stated that I would wait, and that I
Was not ordering a computer at this time. I admit, the computer seems to work fine, but if I was actually ordering the system, it's not exactly what I was looking for.
I am willing to possibly keep it, and pay for it, (even though my lawyer
Said I possibly have a legal case against Micron), but before I consider
Paying for it, I believe I am owed an apology, and someone needs to
Sharpen their pencil, and make a deal with me. I am under the impression that the woman I spoke to probably took notice of my rather exceptional credit, and she assumed I was about 80% ready to say yes, so "Why not just give it to him?" This is not the
Way I conduct business. Please respond as soon as possible, preferably in
E-Mail, so it can be recorded, as my lawyer suggested. I'd like this terrible
Wrong to be righted, and I want everyone to be happy. Thank you for your
Time.

Bennett Pepper.
Reference# 6418160
Cust#: 2042825
Packing slip date: 12/21/1999
Date: Nov 30 1999 (next to customer#)

7:17 PM 1/4/00

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ben:
here goes_From: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 2:03 PM
Subject: Bennett pepper

Bennett,

Thank you for contacting Micron PC customer service support center.

I apologize on behalf of the company in regards to the issue you describe
Below. Your experience with our sales representative was unacceptable. I
Cannot provide an adequate explanation for what you encountered, however, I
Can assure you it is not indicative of the type of service we provide.

Because of the circumstances, we would be more than happy to take back this
PC if you choose not to keep it. We would of course refund all your money
Including paying for the freight to and from your home.

If you would like to keep this PC; I would be more then happy to assist you
With this matter. I look forward to coming to a solution we can both be
Satisfied with, please advice me on any specifics that could help in this
Situation. Again, we want to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused
You.

Awaiting your reply,

Jamie T.
Customer Service, Micron PC, Inc.
[email protected] http://www.micronpc.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 5:42 PM
Subject: Customer Service Email Form

Issue: Other
Address: [email protected]
Name: Bennett pepper
Customer Number: 2042825
Serial Number: 2039104-0001
Order Number: there is none. Because I never ordered
Anything!!!!!!!!
Phone Number: 9144698236
Notes: To whom it may concern:

Near the end of November I went on your Internet site and entered the specifications for my "dream" computer. I called on the phone and inquired about your " 6 months same as cash" deal. I spoke to a lady named Sarah Kent. She was very informative. She told me there was a 28-day waiting period for the newest Pentium. As I wanted this as a Christmas gift for my stepson I told her that there is no point ordering anything now. I distinctly remember saying that I'd
Wait a few months for the 800 MHz chip to be out, and then I'll order the latest and
Greatest. A few days later she called me back, and wanted to know why I
Didn’t return her phone call. I said something to the effect of "don't call me I'll call you".
I was on vacation for New Year's and not home when UPS delivered a
Package to my house. My 14 year old "minor" stepson signed for it and
Thinking it was a belated Christmas gift, ripped open the boxes and
Installed all his software. As far as I know, there is a legal term for this.
"Slamming".
I find it incredulously rude, and rather disturbing. I never asked for
This system, I never received any form of confirmation, and when phoned o n
The matter I clearly (and distinctly) stated that I would wait, and that I
Was not ordering a computer at this time. I admit, the computer seems to work fine, but if I was actually ordering the system, it's not exactly what I was looking for.
I am willing to possibly keep it, and pay for it, (even though my lawyer
Said I possibly have a legal case against Micron), but before I consider
Paying for it, I believe I am owed an apology, and someone needs to
Sharpen their pencil, and make a deal with me. I am under the impression that the woman I spoke to probably took notice of my rather exceptional credit, and she assumed I was about 80% ready to say yes, so "Why not just give it to him?" This is not the
Way I conduct business. Please respond as soon as possible, preferably in
E-Mail, so it can be recorded, as my lawyer suggested. I'd like this terrible
Wrong to be righted, and I want everyone to be happy. Thank you for your
Time.

Bennett Pepper.
Reference# 6418160
Cust#: 2042825
Packing slip date: 12/21/1999
Date: Nov 30 1999 (next to customer#)

7:17 PM 1/4/00

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben:

Do they have your money? Because, they said:

"We would of course refund all your money
Including paying for the freight to and from your home."

Call the credit card company right now, to see if the charge was paid to Micron. The charge company is open 24/7. Get back to me.

IAAL

------------------

B

ben

no!!! The deal was "6 months same as cash" Meaning I have 6 months to pay for it before they start charging interest.
I get bills every month with a balance due of zero.
will call credit card company as soon as I can get my daughter off the phone. wish me luck( with my daughter- not micron)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

no!!! The deal was "6 months same as cash" Meaning I have 6 months to pay for it before they start charging interest.
I get bills every month with a balance due of zero.
will call credit card company as soon as I can get my daughter off the phone. wish me luck( with my daughter- not micron)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben:

Good luck - with getting your daughter off the phone !! If Micron hasn't received payment, then you're okay. Make sure to tell the credit card company that if any charges come in from Micron, they are fraudulent. Have the credit company make a note in your file to that effect. Good letter to Micron, by the way.

IAAL

------------------

B

ben

you know I just thought of this last night.
Around the same time I also went on Dells' and Gateways' web sites and configured computers and applied for credit.

They didn't send me computers!

How do you find out if this is a common occurance at Micron? The FTC said they would investigate only if they have multiple complaints.I assume they didn't because they would have contacted me for testomony
if they did.

I did what you said verbatum.
Re cc company.
( I always said that if you ask for advice the least you can do is try it.)

I guess this viods my warrentee on the computer? :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

you know I just thought of this last night.
Around the same time I also went on Dells' and Gateways' web sites and configured computers and applied for credit.

They didn't send me computers!

How do you find out if this is a common occurance at Micron? The FTC said they would investigate only if they have multiple complaints.I assume they didn't because they would have contacted me for testomony
if they did.

I did what you said verbatum.
Re cc company.
( I always said that if you ask for advice the least you can do is try it.)

I guess this viods my warrentee on the computer? :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I rather doubt this is a common occurrance with Micron. They just had a dumb person take your call. Yes, I would imagine your warranty is "non grata." Let me know what happens, as it happens.

Now, I've got this problem with my car . . .

IAAL

------------------

J

jodee

Ben,
Even though the law is on your side, this company's employee made a BIG mistake! Shame on you. Legal is one thing, moral is another! Return the computer at no cost to you or pay for it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jodee:
Ben,
Even though the law is on your side, this company's employee made a BIG mistake! Shame on you. Legal is one thing, moral is another! Return the computer at no cost to you or pay for it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Oh, Jodee. Aren't you just a teensy bit jeolous? Why do you think the law was enacted? Of course he could send it back, but that's not the point.

IAAL

------------------

B

ben

Jodee:
Just for the record When I first called them I offered to pay for the computer if they sold it to me as a used computer.After all
it would cost them $200 to return it and then they would have to sell it (used)to someone else.
As you know computers depreciate big time!
.I asked them to make me an offer.They told me to go pound sand!No deal they don't want to play ball so neither do I.
You are right she did make a big mistake. She got greedy and tried to get that last extra sale in for her christmas bonus!

J

jodee

IAAL

My Response:

I certainly am not jealous----just a teensy bit more honest.

Jodee

B

ben

Send me more info about the car problem. I'll be glad to help anyone even Jodee.You wont hold me not liable will you? :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jodee:
IAAL

My Response:

I certainly am not jealous----just a teensy bit more honest.

Jodee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

This has nothing to do with being "honest." This is a "law" site, and Ben is well within his rights and in line with the law. If the law, as it is, wasn't enacted, then I'd agree with you. I am asking you: What is the purpose of the law, and why should Ben be required to do the work of re-packing and taking the computer to a shipper? These are not rhetorical questions; I'd really like to read your responses . . . this time without all of the "moral" stuff. Let's stay "legal." Remember, Ben did not cause or facilitate this situation.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">