• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web-Site Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mulligan

I have recently purchased a website (that will need to be left confidential for now) and now a company I used to work for is telling me I need to give up ownership. They claim that an agreement I had signed, stated that I would not for 2 years after employment, become involved in anything that would reveal trade secrets, proprietary info, or competition with them.

The website is named after a federal law, so I dont see how they can claim it as proprietary or a trade secret. It is very well known and used by many companies. As far as competing with them, I have done no such thing. As of now, I have just reserved the website for the future because I have a few ideas that I would like to do with it. All I have done is purchased the website name; I have not tried to sell or advertise on it.
Also, I am more of a "silent partner." This website name is co-owned by a gentleman who has registered his own business name and who has ideas for the site.
I feel that we are being strong-armed by my previous employer who wants the website name. Let me also clarify that this company offered to buy it from us, but we declined stating that we were not looking to sell at this time. It wasn't until after this that they sent us a threatening letter that we must give up the name to them. My name is the only one registered, although I have told them in writing that it is a co-owned website.
I dont think we have done everything legal and ethical; however, the company is a big name and they're the ones with the money. Of course, we dont want a lawsuit, but are willing to do it if need be. Do we have a good case? Is their threatening letter considered harrassment as is was sent after being told we weren't interested in selling? Please advise.

G

If you registered the name and started this web company based off of information learned from your past employer, then you are violating their confidentiality agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">