• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

investor rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lioneyes

I own stock in a company that was raided by the police on suspicion of criminal activity. it has been 7 months and no charges have been laid. 2 questions.

1) is there a time limit to keeping an investigation open with out laying charges?(the open invest. is affecting the stock price and company alot)

2) As a shareholder, do I have a right to the complete story and status of the investigation?

the company is located in canada, so if you don't know canada law I'm still interested in how it would be if it were in the us.

thanks in advance

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

A corporation's confidential communications with its attorney are protected by the attorney-client privilege. [Ca Evid § 950 et seq.] In a shareholder's suit against the corporation, the shareholder's status as a shareholder does not give him or her the right to inspect privileged documents. Inspection is permitted only under statutory exceptions to the privilege--e.g., the "joint client" exception, where the shareholder has an independent attorney-client relationship with corporate counsel (Ca Evid § 962.), or the "crime-fraud" exception where the attorney's services were sought to aid in the commission of a crime (Ca Evid § 956). [National Football League Properties, Inc. v. Sup.Ct. (Oakland Raiders) (1998) 65 Cal.App.4th 100, 107-111, 75 Cal.Rptr.2d 893, 897-900--shareholder suing corporation for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and mismanagement not entitled to discovery of privileged documents]

Such inspection rights are enforceable as to the records of any California corporation, and also as to any out-of-state corporation keeping such records here or having its principal executive office here. [Ca Corp Sec. 1601(a)]

What records: Under the statute, the right of inspection extends only to the "accounting" records of the corporation or any subsidiary. (There is no statutory right to inspect other corporate records or physical property.) [Ca Corp Sec. 1601(a)]

When an investigation is over, then you can inspect those records because then they are "public." However, should the matter move into the litigation stage, then when that's over, you can look at court transcripts.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">