• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tags Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spoon

Ohio
I got pulled over for not having a license on the front of my vehicle. Also, my tags had expired. The officer gave me a ticket only for the expired tags. I didn't show proof of insurance, but I was covered, at least I thought so. My insurance had expired, but the bank had put a policy on the car, and I thought I was covered. Turns out the policy only covered the vehicle, and isn't valid in this case.
Now, when I go to pay the ticket, and show the 'proof of insurance', I assume they'll tell me they can't accept it. The only thing I can really to is to go right out and get my insurance back up and running, and plead stupidity. What will they probably do, suspend my license? It's my first offense, and first ticket in years.
What should I do?

SC

C

cassiesno

Take responsible action

You stated the officer gave you a ticket for the expired tags. Did you get a "fix-it" ticket for the proof of insurance? If not, you wouldn't get a ticket for not being insured. If so, the fines will be high. Regardless, you should get your insurance reinstated before driving again. Despite it being the responsible course of action, you might consider the consequences should you be stopped again with no valid proof of insurance. In the event of an accident deemed your fault, you could be sued for all damages. (what's insurance for????!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">