• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAR LEASING CONTRACTS, MASSACHUSETTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Philip A. Gonsal

My brother-in-law passed away in February, 2000. He had a car lease contract that still has 9 months to run and a $2,000 balance. The leasing company has been informed by his wife of his passing and they are demanding that she keep the car and make the remaining payments or pay off the $2000 balance. If not, they will put a lean on the family home. Is this legal in the state of Massachusetts? Only her deceased husband signed the contract. Since she does not drive, she has no use for the car. In this case, what options are available to her?

ALawyer

Not from Mass, but a lawyer's letter cost a lot less than $2,000

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

G

I am not a lawyer,

but I believe that while the wife of the brother-in-law is not legally obligated to make lease payments, the estate of the brother-in-law is. Because of this, I think the car dealership can go after the estate's assets in order to fufill whatever debts the brother in law left behind.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guest:
I am not a lawyer,

but I believe that while the wife of the brother-in-law is not legally obligated to make lease payments, the estate of the brother-in-law is. Because of this, I think the car dealership can go after the estate's assets in order to fufill whatever debts the brother in law left behind.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Excellent insight, Guest. Nice to have you aboard.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">