• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time period for legal documents??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

randyo

how long should i keep my legal documents(divorce papers)for? I have been divorced for over 10 yrs.!! i woul like to throw them away!!, Ontario canada

Is there a legal time limit??

[Edited by randyo on 06-30-2001 at 08:00 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Do NOT throw them away ! You keep them safe forever.

There are a myriad of reasons for keeping them and, just when you throw them away, one of those reasons will happen !

I imagine they don't take up too much room, so they shouldn't be a burden. When one of those nasty reasons for needing them should come up, you'll remember this post and say to yourself, "Thank you IAAL".

Good luck to you.

IAAL

MySonsMom

Not only keep them forever, but keep them VERY safe. Have them laminated like we did. :)

You never know when you need to make a copy to *prove* to someone that something is the way it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">