• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized use of my bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bren99

I pre-authorized a check over the phone to a credit card company. My credit union share drafted it and deducted $49.00 from my account on 3/2/00. On 3/17/00 the same check was once again taken from my account, for the same amount. Apparently this was when the actual check was sent through the system. The bank researched this and blamed it on the credit card company saying they have to pay me back. The credit card company says they have no record of being paid twice. Neither party will admit a mistake and refund the money to my account. I say this is "unauthorized use" of my bank account on both parties. I want my money back. What should I do next. What legally can I do here? Can I charge them interest for the time the money was out of my account?
I feel the credit union is responsible. How can they let a check be taken out my my account twice. I feel they should make it right. It is there negligence. What do you think. I need to know how to handle this.

ALawyer

$49 is not worth a lawsuit or the mental anguish you're undergoing. My suggestion - first get some proof that the $49 was actually deducted twice from your account and that the credit card company did it. Copies of the statement and your credit union's letter that it happened, for example. Then write to the CEO of the credit card company and ask his or her assistance. Also ask your credit card company how you can get it back.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">