• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SUE? WHO? in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cfdavis

When I purchased a used car, I also was sold an extended 45,000 mi. warranty. When my car broke down and needed a new engine, I made a claim for repairs and other covered expenses. The Warranty Company (Buyer's Choice) paid only a small portion of the repair bill, and nothing on towing, car rental, etc. and sent me a letter stating that I Did Not have the "Gold" warranty plan that I thought I had, but something called the 36,000 mi. Factory-Plus Plan, which didn't cover much at all. There was also attached, a copy of my original contract, that had been altered. Someone had crossed out "45,000 mi." and changed it to read "36,000mi Factory-Plus." The letter said that the difference of the price in the two plans had been adjusted to the dealer's cost. The used car dealer said that indeed that had happened, but that there was nothing he could do. This contract was changed without me knowing anything about it and I feel that the dealer should have called me and given me the option of accepting this practically useless "Factory-Plus" warranty, or receiving my money back. I have MY copy of the original contract which does not have any alterations on it, and also the copy of their contract showing the changes. I don't know whether to go to small claims court, file charges against them both, or just forget about it. I probably need a lawyer, but don't think this is big enough for one to want to get involved. Please help. I live in GA

ALawyer

You might try to take the dealer and company to small claims court and see what that would do. This matter is so fact specific that I doubt that the state consumer protection people or the Federal Trade Commission or the GA state insurance department would be willing to get involved, though it is worth a shot. Or clearly and concisely write the facts down and send the copy of your contract to Buyer's Choice's CEO and nicely ask that they make good, and send a copy to the owner of the dealer and ask that they make good.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">