• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement of Alchohol,Juvenille,Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mom59

Three questions regarding the following scenario with my 16yr old son, we live in Michigan.

1) Is this considered Embezzelment if he was not an employee at time of the theft of the alchohol? Does what he did fall into guidelines,description of embezzelment?

2) Can we have this thrown out of Inquiry Hearing which is scheduled for July 12,2001 in Juvenille Court in front of Referree?

3) Do we need a Lawyer?

What constitutes embezzelment? Do you have to be an employee at the time of the crime? Son was let go of his job back in April on a Sat at 5pm. On this same day, his friend who also worked at the same place, was going to take 2 cases of beer for a party later that nite. Both my son and this other boy are 16yrs old. My son was no longer an employee of this store. However, on the day he was let go, he gave this kid who worked there $10.00 to get some beer after work at this store. The boy took the beer hid it behind dumpster at closing time around 9pm. Owner
found the beer when taking out trash at about 9:30. He waited for my son and the other three boys to come pick it up. My son got out of truck and picked up the beer. Now my son and this other boy are being charged with embezzelment of alchohol. The other boys were who were in truck were not charged. My son made restitution to the owner of store and wrote an apology letter as well. Do we have a case for having this thrown out of court on a technicality as he was NOT an employee at the time of the crime, plus he paid the boy(who was a minor) for the beer which the boy took from the store(but obviously didn't pay for as he was a minor). We have a hearing on July 12th, not sure whether to get a lawyer. No previous criminal history regarding my son. They did not charge him with Minor in Possession.

Thank you, appreciate any and all feedback,
Waiting with bated breath, concerned Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">