• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations, EXPIRED! In FL.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larryf5

I just wanted to post the horrible news I received yesterday, after 6 months of waiting for a response from the officer handling a statutory rape complaint I filed against Jane. I was told the Statute of Limitations had ran out! It was 3 yrs after my 16th birthday. I'm shocked, total disbelief. How could they let this happen?

I mean, I no longer lived in that county I was unable to file charges against her nor prepare a defense for myself in the civil case of establishing paternity because I was a minor. State of Florida and Dept of Revenue, had known my age and when she filed for child support in 96, she openly admitted that I was the father of the child and that she had raped me when I was 14 yrs old, a minor.

Also the Judge handling the case and Jane's attorney, who I sent both a written response to and spoken with on the phone, knew of the situation and no one would provide help any help. Because they said it was a different matter. In Florida statutes it reads:
794.027 Duty to report sexual battery; penalties.
(2) Has the present ability to seek assistance for the victim or victims by immediately reporting such offense to a law enforcement officer;
(3) Fails to seek such assistance;
is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

If rape was a statute and I was a minor at the time, the State of Florida had a obligation to file on my behalf because I was a minor and they knew the facts, EVEN if I wasn't willing to press charges against Jane, did they not?

Sincerely,
Larry

[Edited by larryf5 on 07-03-2001 at 01:35 AM]

L

larryf5

UPDATE I received the officer's offense report...

UPDATE

The Officer's offense report arrived in the mail today and it stated the crime was attempted to be filed as a charge of "LEWD AND LASCIVIOUS ACT" . But the Statute of Limitations had expired on this Second degree felony.

The officer interviewed Jane the offender. She admitted to committing rape when I was a minor. And she sworn that I was the father of her child.

Though the officer failed to include in the interrogation, my statement I wrote: "Jane had served me alcohol... and I was unaware of what she had done."

This is too serious to be a charge of "LEWD AND LASCIVIOUS ACT" isn't it?

I looked through the Florida Statutes on the web and found in section 794.011 (4) A person who commits sexual battery upon a person 12 years of age or older without that person's consent, under any of the following circumstances, commits a felony of the first degree.

The Statute of Limitations on a first degree felony is 4 years. In Sex crimes, after the victim's 16th birthday it begins, right? So it should still be prosecutable until Nov. 17th, my birthday.

Did the officer and/or State attorney handling this case, avoid the facts and dismiss it as a lesser charge to deny me justice?

I've spoken with Legal Aid and I'm in the process of seeking a lawyer for consultation, none of which has resulted in any answers to my questions. Please could anyone provide their thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Larry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">