• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use Small Claims for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr_Magoo

Hello, I agreed to buy a car from a lady
where I work. She agreed to sell it to me
and we were to complete the deal on April 1.
I paid a company, LemonBusters to inspect the
car at a cost of $125. I shared the results
of the inspection with this lady. A few days
ago she told me that the car was no longer for sale. Can I take her to Small Claims to
recoup the cost of the inspection? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am from
Texas.

B

bostongal

Ok I am not an attorney but, I have taken some law classes dealing with contract law. Although you do have a breach of contract case, I am not sure how much proof you have. If you do not have a written contract it is harder to prove that a contract existed. If you have an oral agreement I am hoping for your sake that you have a witness. One form of proof that you do have is the receipt from the car being checked. If I was you I would file a claim in small claims court.

ALawyer

Forget the law (specific offer + a non-conditional acceptance = a binding contract. Damages are equal not to the $125 but the loss of the bargain.) and treat this as a matter of interpersonal relations -- and tell her that as a co worker she is responsible. Be a nice guy and point out that if her word means anything, she should reimburse you. Don't bad mouth her -- it would cause you to lose your bargaining power with her.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

M

Mr_Magoo

Thank you both for your replies. I am inclined
to follow the advice of ALawyer and stay away
from the legal system over what must seem a
trivial amount of money. It was a learning
experience for me as I never expected to have this turn of events take place. Like my father used to say, "Too soon old, too late smart".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">