• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent's Visitation Rights (This is long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

k&c'smom

I have a 6 yr. old son and a 11 month old daughter. My son's father was sentenced to life in prison for murder in the 1rst degree and has been incarcerated since November or December of 1994 (I was 3 months pregnant with my son). Initially, my son's paternal family (basically his grandparent's) wanted nothing to do with my son but after he was born in 1995, things changed. I pressed the issue until they finally decided they woud accept my son. I told his paternal grandparent's they could see my son every other weekend and in that weekend they could take my son to see his father in prison. I felt it was important for my son to get to know his family. Well during the course of these past 6 yrs., they (the paternal family) have done things with my son I didn't exactly like, (feeding him things that made him sick after I repeatedly told them not to, not sending back his clothes, not wrapping him up in cold weather which made him catch colds which meant I had to take off work, etc.) I would repeatedly voice my opinion on these matters but things didn't change. I never stopped them from seeing him though because I didn't want to be a petty person. Well when my son was 3 or 4, my son's father tells me he wants to tell my son that he is in prison (my son always called it Daddy's house). I told him I didn't feel my son was ready for that and that I would let him know when I felt it was appropriate. Well his father and family decided to tell him anyway. I was soooo angry. My son began asking me things like "Is Daddy a bad man?", "Am I going to jail?" I told my son's father "You have no idea how to raise children or what's in the best interest for my son because you're not out here to interact and see for yourself." He says "I had to do what was best for me." I contemplated cutting off visitation right there but I let them talk me out of it. Well.....
I was recently married to my boyfriend of 5 yrs. who has been a main fixture and father figure in my son's life since he was 1 1/2. My husband and I have an 11 mo. old daughter and another on the way. So word gets back to my son's family that we were married and my son's father comes at me like "Your husband's not going to try to adopt is he?' I said "Yes, we discussed it and it is something he wants to do in the future." He says "No way, hell no, etc." Well I paid no attention to him. He is very selfish and only thinks about what's best for him and not my son. He cannot provide a thing for my son but a few dollars here and there. My husband does everything a father is supposed to. He chaperones trips, takes him to the doctor, provides financially and emotionally, and is always there for him. Well one day my son asked me out of the blue "How come my little sister has a Daddy that can live with her and I can't?" Perplexed by the question, I told my son "You do have a Daddy that lives with you. __G___ is a Daddy to both of you. He loves both of you very much. Now ___E___ is your father because he made you but ___G___ is you and your little sister's Daddy because he loves and takes care of you. __E__ cannot take care of you becasue he is in prison and is not coming out for a long long time" I wondered to my self had my son's family been talking to him about this without consulting me first? So after his next visit with his family, my son comes home to me and says "My grandmother told me that __G___ is only my little sister's Daddy, he will never be a Daddy to me, ___E___ is my only Daddy, and that you were wrong, __E___ can take care of me because he sends money home, and that __E___ is coming home soon, etc." Well I was HEATED. So I called my son's grandmother and told her I didn't appreciate her telling my son the TOTAL opposite of the way me and my husband are trying to raise him. I mean who are they to keep taking it upon themselves to make decisions about my son when me and my husband are the primary caregivers and they only see him twice a month. And who is his biological father to be telling me how to raise my son when he is in prison for life. And why is he telling him he's coming out soon when he has life!!! All they keep saying is "Well __E___ is upset about this , and ____E___ is upset about that." And I keep saying "It's not about him, it's about my son!!!!" Well his paternal grandparent's basically told me "We're going to keep telling him what we think is right." So....
I have cut out all visitations. They keep disrespecting my authority and have taken it too far this time. My son is now confused about my husband's role when it never was an issue before. I think the confusion is kind of tapering off but I want to make sure and I want to get my family established. I don't know what else they will say to my son if I send him back. I think they are going to pursue visitation rights and I need to know what are the Grandparent's Visitation Rights in Washington, DC in this case and how can my husband adopt in the future?

ksjane

Grandparents no longer have legal rights to visitation. Go to your search engine and type in Grandparent rights, or Grandparent visitation. In the case Troxell vs. Granville the Supreme court ruled that the parents are capable to decide visitation for third party visits example grandparents. As far as adoption, if the bio father will not willfully give up his rights to the child for the "daddy" to adopt then you need to get a lawyer and take it from there. Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">