• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mary_ele

I live in Colorado Springs, Co. I would like to know the legal age for a child to be left home alone.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

When they're 87 years old, and using a cane.

IAAL

P.S. Rule of thumb - - unless you want to be arrested for child endangerment, or the fire that they set, or the malicious mischief they cause, never leave a minor under the age of 18 at home by themselves.

E

EPS421

I'm in Pennsylvania, but I am curious about this post. What if a person over 18 is alone in your house, say it's your child, and they are careless and are injured or cause damage. Aren't you still liable to some degree or not?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No, you're not. Whether the person left alone is your child or not, if that person is 18 or over, then that person is an adult. Therefore, that person is the one who is responsible for their own actions.

Now, if that person is growing Pot in their room, and you have knowledge of the illegal acts, or have ratified those acts, then you, as the homeowner, are "going down" too !

But, in the main, when acts of negligence cause damage to someone else, the homeowner is not liable - - only the "adult" causing the negligence is liable.

IAAL

E

EPS421

Thank you for your informative response! One other quick question: What if there is both an 18 year old and a child under 18 in the home alone at the same time. If something goes wrong, is the 18 year old, or you, the absent adult homeowner, liable?

S

Shadow49120

Do you happen to know the law for Michigan at the age which they can be left home alone over night? They have been staying home alone since they were about 12 and there has never been a problem they usually just play with the dogs, read a book, watch tv, order a pizza or go over to a friends house. I'm not worried about the setting a fire etc. I want to know like what the age is legally allowed by the state and social services. They have relatives near by and close friends of the family.

LegalBeagle

Shadow49120 said:
Do you happen to know the law for Michigan at the age which they can be left home alone over night? They have been staying home alone since they were about 12 and there has never been a problem they usually just play with the dogs, read a book, watch tv, order a pizza or go over to a friends house.
Ah, but that is not true.. having sex was also on the menu!

Most states have a set of criteria for determining whether a child has been neglected. For example, a 14 yo can be left for 2 hours home alone, but leave that child for 3 hours and it can be classed as neglect.

Bottom line however, if the child is under 18 and something happens, your up poo poo creak and you've run out of paper.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Shadow49120 said:
Do you happen to know the law for Michigan at the age which they can be left home alone over night? They have been staying home alone since they were about 12 and there has never been a problem they usually just play with the dogs, read a book, watch tv, order a pizza or go over to a friends house. I'm not worried about the setting a fire etc. I want to know like what the age is legally allowed by the state and social services. They have relatives near by and close friends of the family.
My response:

You know, I've got to be brutally honest with you on this one. I don't know what your situation is in life, and it really doesn't matter, as to why you'd leave a 12, 13 or even a 14 year old, home alone, and alone overnight. But if I were your neighbor, I'd have Child Protective Service take your children away from you - - permanently, and have you prosecuted for child neglect and child endangerment.

You don't leave children of "tender years" alone, overnight. That's just common sense, and plain stupidity on your part.

It doesn't matter if your relatives are "close by". How long does it take to chop a finger off ? To get scalded by hot water ? To bleed to death because they walked through a plate glass window ?

Just what the hell is going on in your brain, anyway ?

IAAL

E

EPS421

I agree with I AM ALWAYS LIABLE. I have a daughter who will be 19 this month. I can't even imagine leaving her home alone overnight (although she is of age and is extremely responsible). As far as being alone for a few hours at a time....yes, both she and her sister have been left alone in that capacity. My other daughter will be 16 in October. The laws are there to protect our children--not to make it easy for us to have fun. It depends a great deal on how well you know your children, which is precisely the reason why I felt comfortable leaving them in the day for just a few hours at a time, even when the older one was under 18. And, yes, I was taking chances based on the law. I was fortunate that nothing ever happened but I was confident in their maturity and ability to handle themselves. But overnight alone...for anyone under 18....is something any sane parent should never consider. Ever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">