• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intense Confusion w/WC, SS, DoD Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kkierste

(I live in VERMONT)

I had back surgery to remove my L4-L5 disc (a discectomy) on 6-18-01 that was a result of an injury at work. I've been collecting Worker's Compensation with no problems to speak of.

Now, I have a brand new pain (since the surgery) on my left side in my back, still have the pain in the center, lower portion of the back, and occasionally can feel pain in the right side of the back (this was the target of this surgery, the pain on the right side).

I've had two knee surgeries while on Active Duty in the Air Force for which I'm receiving monthly compensation (I'm not really receiving anything because I took a lump sum payment in 1994 and they must "recoup" that before continuing payments) and I've applied for an increase in compensation from my 10%.

Now, I have the feeling that my back won't get much better without more surgeries, and if I don't get more surgeries, I don't think I'll be able to go back to work in any capacity. But who to blame? The combination of the knee pain and back pain has rendered me just about useless. So I have some questions about this.

1. Will my Worker's Compensation insurance carrier claim that because there is new and different pain after my surgery that I must now seek legal restitution from my surgeon or his organization? And will they claim that they are "done" with me?

2. Should I seek Social Security benefits if I don't want any more surgeries, or even if I do volunteer to let someone add some more scar tissue to my tattered body?

3. Am I required to accept a lump sum from the Worker's Compensation insurance carrier after I've reached my "Medical End Result," or can I ask to continue receiving weekly compensation?

4. What if my doctor says I can go back to work when I know that I cannot? I am willing to take a polygraph test--but would it be admissible in such cases?

5. With all of these parties involved (Social Security, Air Force, and Worker's Compensation) what should I do? Will one refuse to pay if the other is seen as responsible?

I'm so totally confused.

Thanks,
Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">