• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents visitation - I'll try to be breif

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdmoc

I am from NJ. My husband and I mutualy agreed on a seperation a year ago. We have worked this out perfectly. My parents did not spend time with or do things with my two girls until last November. (they are 6 and 4) I work nights, and he takes the kids on the nights I work. In November we were stuck for a sitter one night a week, so my parents asked me if they could watch them. It would be temporary while I worked nights. During the six months my parents said degroatory things about their father to me in front of the children but not to them. About two months ago my children told my parents about a very innocent situtation that happened while they were with thier father. In turn my parents confronted their father and friends in a bar to provoke a fight. Me and their father decided that it would be in the best interest of the children to stop them spending the night until things could be worked out and my parents could handle the seperation between me and my husband. Immediately my parents begain threating my husbands and my life and threatened to take the children away. We were forced to press charges against my father for harassment to protect my husband from abuse. I have asked my parents three times to see the children for a few hours, but not overnight. They refused saying unless its overnight they don't want to see them. They are now threatening to get visitation one weekend a month and the right to take them on vacation (out of state). They have had the children a total of 24 days in their short lives, what rights do they have? And what rights do we have? Please Help?!?!

G

Grandma B

The U.S. Supreme Court says your parents have no "right" to visitation of your children. Only parents have the right to decide who will be allowed to see their children.

Kudos to you and your husband for working this out like the adults you are. It will benefit your children greatly.

M

mdmoc

Thank you very much GrandmaB and jamesmoog for the information. I have printed every law, and case I could find on grandparents visitation.

Thank you so much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">