• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shorter version of help on motion for new trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sonya hammans

i am in texas. apparently i need to make my question short and in good form. i would like to know if a judge has to grant a new trial for judicial and lawyer errors? i would like to know if the judge doesn't answer after a hearing on the motion, if it is automatically overruled by operation of law? thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sonya hammans said:
i am in texas. apparently i need to make my question short and in good form. i would like to know if a judge has to grant a new trial for judicial and lawyer errors? i would like to know if the judge doesn't answer after a hearing on the motion, if it is automatically overruled by operation of law? thank you
My response:

Prior to any appeal, a litigant must file what is known as a "Motion for Reconsideration". In that motion, a litigant must inform the judge what the perceived errors are, and the reasons why such errors would have changed the outcome of the case.

When a judge receives such a Motion, the judge can respond, or allow the motion to "die" by operation of law, after a specific number of days have passed.

When there is no ruling, or if there is a ruling, but it is not favorable to the litigant, then the litigant must file and serve a "Notice of Appeal".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">