• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

replaced by

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamesmoog

Seattle, WA. Divorced past Nov. Son was 4 years 9 months old at that time. Ex-wife claimed before divorce I was not my sons true father. I agreed to DNA test, which excluded me as the actual father. I asked for continued visitation anyway, to which wife refused. Wife stated who actual father was, who has agreed he is the father and agreed to child support payments, as well as parenting duties. At meeting prior to divorce hearing wifes lawyer cited "Granville v. Troxel", and stated I would not get visitation. Offered one last 3 hour good-bye visit. Said if I didn't agree then there would be none after hearing. Guardian ad liedum expressed written opinion was for me to have continued visitation. I folded under the pressure and idea I'd never see my son again. I signed the "offer" and that was entered as the final divorce decree. My question is, By singing the agreement have I given up all possibility of gaining visitation? And if I can file for visitation do I have any chance at all to get visitation?

LegalBeagle

jamesmoog said:
Seattle, WA. Divorced past Nov. Son was 4 years 9 months old at that time. Ex-wife claimed before divorce I was not my sons true father. I agreed to DNA test, which excluded me as the actual father. I asked for continued visitation anyway, to which wife refused. Wife stated who actual father was, who has agreed he is the father and agreed to child support payments, as well as parenting duties. At meeting prior to divorce hearing wifes lawyer cited "Granville v. Troxel", and stated I would not get visitation. Offered one last 3 hour good-bye visit. Said if I didn't agree then there would be none after hearing. Guardian ad liedum expressed written opinion was for me to have continued visitation. I folded under the pressure and idea I'd never see my son again. I signed the "offer" and that was entered as the final divorce decree. My question is, By singing the agreement have I given up all possibility of gaining visitation? And if I can file for visitation do I have any chance at all to get visitation?
If this agreement was signed off by a judge, and if you have effectively been replaced on the b/c as the father and thereby the other man being established as the father, then you have no legal rights or recourse to see that child.

Four years is a long time and you can become very attached to a child, regardless of whether they are your own or not. I wish I had better news for you but it is all over and time to move on..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">