• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY- bad check for work done and refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kepe

i did work in ky but live in nc. i am a sub contractor in cable tv. they still owe me 1275.90 and paid but then cancelled the check. what are my recourses? is this criminal?

T

Third Party

Answer & Question

The person who wrote the check is liable to you as the holder of the check in a civil suit if the check is dishonored for insuggicient funds. If intent to defraud can be proved, the writer of the check can also be subject to criminal prosecution for writing a bad check. So to answer you question, it is a civil matter, but can also be criminal if intent can be proven.

If the defendant is in KY, you would have to file there. However, KY has a maximum of $1500 for small claims, thus you will need to take it to a higher court.

I'm iffie on this but... "Civil cases involving $4,000 or less are heard in District Court." (Someone check/verify me on that one. Is this the court he would go to?)

Best of luck

A$$ Saver aka…
Disclaimer:
I hope this is tidbit of fiction is helpful. I am not an attorney. Do not perceive this as legal advice. You should consult an attorney to answer your questions. Do not rely on this advice. Forget you ever read it. You are not a client. I am not an attorney. This is merely babble in the wind. Never use the advice as reasoning in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">