• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can EX vacation and bill me for daycare?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

ducky

Residing in Washington State

Worried cuz ex told us this week she is leaving town for 10 day vacation (next week!) and we better come pick up the child or she is gonna place him in 24hr daycare and bill us for the whole 10 days! Seems so unfair, and will be costly, as we cannot get vacation time ourselves to watch child on such short notice. Help! Also, can she charge us daycare costs (her 25% us 75% in divorce papers ) while being a stay at home mom simply because she "needs a break"? She claims her E-bay surfing is "at-home" work. Is that legal?

MySonsMom

ducky said:

Residing in Washington State

Worried cuz ex told us this week she is leaving town for 10 day vacation (next week!) and we better come pick up the child or she is gonna place him in 24hr daycare and bill us for the whole 10 days! Seems so unfair, and will be costly, as we cannot get vacation time ourselves to watch child on such short notice. Help! Also, can she charge us daycare costs (her 25% us 75% in divorce papers ) while being a stay at home mom simply because she "needs a break"? She claims her E-bay surfing is "at-home" work. Is that legal?
This little *vacation* that she is taking, is it on her parenting time or yours? If it is on HER time with the children, I would think that *if* this went to court, you would have a good case why you won't pay this daycare fee for her vacation. If this were happening to me, I would simply refuse to pay the 75% of her little bill that she will send you. I would warn her ahead of time that you will not be paying for it. Daycare is meant for working parents or parents going to school....Taking a child to daycare/babysitter because you want to go out for the night or take a vacation and expecting the *other* parent to pay for half or 75% or ANY OF THE BILL for that matter is simply ridiculous and obsurd. You have a good case if she took you to court for this. I wouldn't pay any of it.

Good luck with your decision.

LegalBeagle

Why not take the child but put them in daycare during the day while you work.. you then get 2 weeks visitation.

Personally, I would wait for her to dump this child in 24 hour day care and then file for emergency temporary custody the moment she left the area... but I am just a big meanie..

D

ducky

So, you are saying that since there was nothing written down as to what dates we are supposed to take our 2 week summertime visitation, we could not be held liable for this daycare bill? The bill for 24hr care on a 9yr old for 10 days will be atrocious enough for even her to file a small claim if she got denied payment by us. We are certain we need to go back to the drawing board (mediation, hopefully)
and draft up exact dates and times for every exchange since she is being so uncooperative lately. Sigh...
Thanks for the help!

D

ducky

Oh, one more thing.. What did you think of her other plot to get us to pay for daycare costs while she stays home during the summer? She is claiming her E-bay activity as a full time job. Will that stand up in court? She has a toddler by her new husband that I don't believe she plans on putting in summer daycare, just the 9 yr old she needs a break from. Is that legal?

LegalBeagle

Why is she putting a child in daycare anyway when she is going on vacation? No, you should not have to pay daycare at all if she is not working, staying at home and looking after another child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">