• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st degree theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dan Base

Recently I was charged with first degree theft in King County of the State of Washington. This charge came from my telemarketing magazine subscription business that went under in Aug of 1998. My company sold magazine subscription renewals through way of telemarketing.

From approx. Sept 1997 to Aug 1998 we stopped clearing orders for customers due to financial problems (meaning customers who paid for the subscriptions through our company would not get what they paid for). We collected approx. 2.3 million during this time period.

The money collected during this time period mostly went to cover business expenses and employee salary. I, as the owner also drew a salary (just enough to cover my living expenses, that's where I'm most venerable in this case).

I have been in business since 1985 and had no problems up until Sept 1997. These problems occured mostly due to my poor business decisions and poor employee hiring.

I will be fighting this case over the next 6-9 months.

My question is: if I end up being convicted, what sentence will I receive and what are my chances of beating this case.

I know it may be hard to tell me what my chances are due to the lack of information on my case, but I would like to know how much time I may end up getting.

I have never been charge or convicted of any crime in my life.

The prosecutor said they would settle the case if I agreed to a 5 year sentence, I thought that was ridiculous for a "white collar crime" due to bad business decisions.

Any comments would be welcome.

[Edited by Dan Base on 07-07-2001 at 06:37 PM]

L

lawrat

The outcome of your case will depend on many factors. Only your attorney can truly help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">