• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to yield to emergency vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gabel

Hi, i am in san jose, CA.
I was driving with expired tabs and was pulled over by a CA cop. I did not notice for a little bit and the cop must have been pissed, because he gave me a ticket to appearin court!
violation 21806(9)(1),
code: CVS,
discription: failure to yield to emergency vechile.
I had the new tabs at home so no ticket for that.
is this serious? what are the consequences?
thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gabel said:
Hi, i am in san jose, CA.
I was driving with expired tabs and was pulled over by a CA cop. I did not notice for a little bit and the cop must have been pissed, because he gave me a ticket to appearin court!
violation 21806(9)(1),
code: CVS,
discription: failure to yield to emergency vechile.
I had the new tabs at home so no ticket for that.
is this serious? what are the consequences?
thanks!
My response:

California Vehicle Code section 21806. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle which is sounding a siren and which has at least one lighted lamp exhibiting red light that is visible, under normal atmospheric conditions, from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle, the surrounding traffic shall, except as otherwise directed by a traffic officer, do the following:

(a) (1) Except as required under paragraph (2), the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of any intersection, and thereupon shall stop and remain stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

California Vehicle Code section 42001.12. Every person convicted of an infraction for a violation of Section 21806 shall be punished as follows:

(a) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

(b) For a second conviction within one year, by a fine of not less than one hundred fifty dollars ($150) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

(c) For a third or any subsequent conviction within three years, by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

Then, once your fine has been told to you by the court, that amount will be "enhanced" by 170 percent; e.g., if you are fined $250.00, you won't be able to walk out of court without first paying $675.00 !

Ouch, that smarts !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">