• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

900 numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alhumble

My 17 yr old child (without permission) made about 6 calls on a psychic advice line costing about $1000.

The phone company spotted the unusual phone usage and contacted me, at which point I blocked 900 numbers on my phone and dealt with my child. The phone company took the charges off of my phone bill, but the psychic advice line has billed me directly for the charges.

Since the calls were made by an under-aged person, and because I stopped the calls as soon as I discovered them, am I still liable for the charges? In short do I have to pay and what are my options?

F

Fred

17 year-olds cannot form a legally binding contract (whether written or unwritten). Thus the breach of contract by you and your child for not paying for the phone services of the 900 hotline is fine.

D

Dianne

I finally found someone else with the same problem. Thank goodness, sorry. Its actually driven me crazy!!
And I'm glad your in the clear!!
I've been forever trying to find out what to do about my charges.
I've called AT&T and they give me this
animated phone number which I have yet to get a response. Basicly the run-around.
Would you please e-mail me and tell me
how you clearned this problem up. I pay my phone bill every month but I'm unable to pay the physic bill. There adding late charges all the time too. So even if I did make a payment it wouldn't help. But just thank goodness I didn't.
So, please e-mail me, if its not to much trouble. I'm despert !
I have 900 block also, now!!
Thanks, D

------------------

A

alhumble

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dianne:
I finally found someone else with the same problem. Thank goodness, sorry. Its actually driven me crazy!!
And I'm glad your in the clear!!
I've been forever trying to find out what to do about my charges.
I've called AT&T and they give me this
animated phone number which I have yet to get a response. Basicly the run-around.
Would you please e-mail me and tell me
how you clearned this problem up. I pay my phone bill every month but I'm unable to pay the physic bill. There adding late charges all the time too. So even if I did make a payment it wouldn't help. But just thank goodness I didn't.
So, please e-mail me, if its not to much trouble. I'm despert !
I have 900 block also, now!!
Thanks, D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

alhumble

My local phone co. (in California) was helpful to me from the start. In fact they were the one who notified me that the 900 calls were being made. With my local phone company's assistance, I contacted my long distance carrier (ATT) and they immediately took the charges off of my bill. The phsyic service has billed me directly, but the most they can do is put a notice on my credit report, which I can counter with a written explantion. If they take me to court I will win. My suggestion to you is to get the phone company on your side. Once the charges are off of your phone bill, the 900 folks can't do much to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">