• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I thought this can't be real - Does anyone know?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

traviscaddell

state: va
county: prince william

i recently registered my car in virginia, after putting my temp tags on the car i decided to leave the car parked in my parking lot and drive my other car until i had a chance to take the newly registered car to the inspection station. i thought everything was fine until i found a ticket on my car for not having an inspection. the officer gave me a ticket for an invalid inspection on a parked car at my own place. does anyone have any advice on this? i have never heard of such an absurd law.

thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Seems odd to me also. If your car is on private property, what's the problem ?

I would suggest that you contact your local Department of Motor Vehicle to ask them to cite you the law on this subject. Ask them if the law is valid on private property.

As a matter of fact, the actual code section should be listed on your citation. If you would please let me know the complete number, I'd like to look it up, and post it for you - - and others.

IAAL

F

FKNA

Some states have that BS law. I wouldn't worry about it though, just attend your court date. Judge should dismiss it, especially if it's now been inspected and/or you get it inspected prior to your court date. Here in Texas we have that BS law as well, they can even tow the car from private property. It rarely happens. Nonetheless, they got the power to do so.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, since California doesn't have a law like that, it would appear that the Texas law, and the laws of the other States that have it, should be Unconstitutional.

I have, sincerely, never heard of such an intrusion into private affairs of a private citizen by a Governmental Agency !

I would really like to see the Case Law on such a Statute, and how Texas, or any State, justifies itself and makes such an intrusion pass Constitutional muster.

It's outrageous !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">