• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander in Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissC43

i am from michigan and i recieved what i believe was a bogus ticket for careless driving. i am a white male who was driving with my black girlfriend. from the way the officer spoke to her i suspect the ticket could have been racially motivated. if i bring that up at the hearing can i be charged with slander?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Statements made in a courtroom are privileged and non-actionable. Whether or not the judge will even consider what you're thinking of saying is one matter, but if you say it, there's nothing anyone can do to you for having said it. More than likely, the judge will not accept that as a defense to your ticket because, and despite the fact that the officer may have made derogatory remarks, if you did, in fact, violate the law, then that is all the judge will consider.

My suggestion would be that, if you sincerely feel that some sort of discrimination occurred, that you make a written complaint about the officer's conduct. The police station has such forms. Again, the statements you write are privileged and every citizen has a right to complain about a public servant's actions. The police captain will make a cursory investigation, find that there was no wrongdoing on the officer's part, and that will be the end of it.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">