• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Councelor's Word

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dk20

I am a recent transfer to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. When I was accepted they sent me a letter saying that the Computer Science dept. was full and had no room for me but I could accept another curriculum. Then it said that I would not be able to transfer to another curriculum. So I called the chief advisor of the Computer Science dept. and asked him what I should do and he said that I should come anyway that people transfer from other curriculums all the time. So I took his word for it and transfered into Physics and moved to Urbana. Now that I am here I had a meating with this advisor and he said he would talk to the dean about what I should do as a transfer student in another curriculum.

A week later he got back with me and said that there was a new policy and that no transfer students may transfer into another curriculum!!! I am feeling just a little bit screwed at the moment. What if any advice would you give on legal matters in this situation?

H

hospe

From a layman's point of view, I think that what redress you have depends on EXACTLY what your letter of acceptance said. Your remedy (if any) lies in the law of contract,and what contract you had with the University is evidenced by the letter.... but from your posting it is not clear what your letter says...does it say you can transfer or not?

[Edited by hospe on 07-21-2001 at 08:18 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">