• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple tickets in VA and Plea Bargaining

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janna30

I am licensed to drive in the state of virginia. In the past 2 1/2 year I have received 4 speeding tickets, three of them in 18 months. I never went to court for any of them and therefore did not get the charge dropped to something lower. When I got the last speeding ticket, my license was on probation.(ending at the end of that month) The police officer charged me with reckless, going 40 in a 20 mph zone. It was a school zone and I did not see the lights flashing. Supposedly I was pulled over at 850 and the lights stop flashing at 8:55. I never saw them flashing at all. My license will most likely be suspended for 3 months when the charge goes through. All the tickets I have are at low speeds.I spoke with a lawyer and he suggests plea bargaining. I am ok with that, because even if the light was not flashing, I was still speeding (even if not intentionally). My question is, can I plea bargain with the Commonwealth attorney myself or do I need to hire a lawyer for $500 + dollars. I already went to court and got a continuance-- and the police officer said it was being tried as a non-jailable offence. I can deal with the suspension of my license, but I would prefer not to go in front of the judge if possible. Also, where can I find more information on plea bargaining traffic offenses in Virginia. Thanks for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">