• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-of-State DWI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rick lee

I am a VA driver and was recently arrested for and convicted of DWI in NJ. At court the prosecutor told me that as long as I fulfilled my NJ sentencing requirements, the case would stay in NJ and VA would not find out about it. Several friends and even VA attys have also told me that VA rarely finds out about out-of-state DWIs on VA drivers. At sentencing the judge told me otherwise and to expect VA's DMV to contact and throw the book at me. I managed to get the court to arrange for me to do my counseling in NJ and now NJ's DMV is sending mail to my parents' address in NJ. So I think it's gonna stay out of VA.

My question is about my insurance company. Assuming VA never hears about the case (I renewed my VA license and changed the lic. # the week after my arrest, so as to throw the DMV computers off), will my insurer find out about an out-of-state conviction? If NJ's DMV never sends my case to VA, will my insurer find out about it anyway, when they do their annual record search, which they say is nationwide? And if they do, will they contact VA's DMV and narc on me, or just hit me with their high risk rates? Thanks.

L

lawrat

Well, you should check the vehicle codes and dmv websites of both states to check what their rules are, this should also include state insurance code.

R

rick lee

I am very familiar with things are "supposed" to work in this area. I have thoroughly researched DWI laws and procedures in NJ and VA and even through anonymous phone inquiries to my insurer.

But I am looking for answers from those with personal experience in out-of-state convictions. How things are supposed to work and how they actually work are usually very different. A lot of people have told me VA will never learn of my NJ conviction, even though the Interstate Compact Law says and my judge said VA will get record of my conviction. I'd like to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation, what actually happened and how they dealt with their insurer. Andhow long it took for the whole thing to filter back to their home DMV and/or insurer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">