• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gumbah

My first offense, OWI, state of Iowa. I have a fairly clean record (one speeding ticket in 96). Am looking at my license being gone for 6 months. Any chance of a suspended sentence? Any advice to get a suspended sentence?

G

gumbah

Thanks

While I appreciate your input I think I had the do the crime do the time thing already in my head.

K

kckern

No bargaining

I'm in the same situation in Florida. Unfortunaltey the laws are fairly stanard across the board. The courts have certain minimum sentences they can issue - their hands are tied. If you plead no contest, you will get the minimum sentence (even with a spotles record) and it will not be suspended. In other words, there is no plea bargaining, no matter what a lawyer tells you (so don't pay them upfront unless you have a case for not guilty). You either are found not guilty on a technicality or you have to complete the minimum sentence. Just plead no contest and get it over with unless you beleiev you were under the legal limit and the test wa flawed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">