• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get a change of venue?? (get case heard in diff. state?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notyet21

I live in South Carolina and have a SC drivers license. I am 20 years old. I was visiting Illinois and received a ticket for "possession of alcohol by a person under 21 years of age" at a restaurant/bar. It was not a state ticket, but a "village ticket." He told me I did not have to appear in court and it was not a misdemeanor, but the equivalent of a traffic violation. Last week I received a notice saying this is a "must appear violation" and I have to go to Illinois. I got the court date delayed, but the trip will cost me over $500 to fly there, get a car or taxi, and all. The 28hr round trip drive is too long to take off from school. Is there any way out of this, that I could just pay a fine or something and not appear? (They say my license will be suspended if I don't go).

racer72

Did you try contacting the court and ask for other options? Your case does not come close to qualifying for a change of venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">