• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on Suspended Liscence without knowing it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NetherBen

State: Virginia

Hello,
I have a question about an interesting situation.

I was convicted of a speeding 23 over the posted speed limit in early january. (I was not charged with reckless driving) I later learned that because I was under 18 at the time I needed to take a drivers improvement course in order for my liscence not to be suspended. (Having not know this course was required I took no action.) I was not informed that my liscence was suspended or revoked and continued to drive. (According the the DMV they sent a notice informing me of the suspension of my liscence via registered mail, but it was neither picked up nor signed for and thus was returned to them)

Later in June I was caught speeding 88 in a 65 (23 over again). The officer did not inform me that my liscence was suspended, and charged me with reckless driving. My court date is on July 26th.

Today July 18th I received a letter from my insurance company informing me that my liscence had been suspended for administrative reasons. I contacted the DMV and they confirmed this. They also informed me that I would need to take a driving improvement course to get my liscence back. I am scheduled to take this improvement course on July 21st. I should have my liscence back by the 25th.

Now my question is concearning the reckless driving charge. I was not aware that I was driving on a suspended liscence, and had not been informed until today July 18th. Yet I was charged with Reckless driving in early mid June. I am afraid that I may be charged with driving on a suspended liscence and reckless driving which would be grounds for immediate suspension or even possible jail time.

(I was very polite to the arresting officer, and I would hope he would put in a good word with the judge if any)

The charge on the ticket is "46.2 - 862" though I assume they will probably have some information about my driving record from the DMV if they are going to convict me of a reckless driving, which should include the fact that my liscence was suspended at the time of the 'arrest.'

I am looking forward to your response, and any light that you may shed on what I should do.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

From what I have gathered the worst case scenario is below:

6 points for my first 23 over conviction (in january)
6 points for the upcoming reckless driving conviction
6 points for driving with a suspended liscence (I am hoping to fight this charge as I had not been informed)

Thus leaving me with:

Eighteen (18) demerit points in twelve (12) months: You lose your diving privilege for 90 days. You must also complete a driver improvement course before your driving privilege will be restored. You will be placed on probation for six (6) months.

If I am charged with what I was expecting to be charged with I would be receiving:

6 points for my first speeding conviction (January)
6 points for my upcoming reckless driving conviction (July 26th)

Twelve (12) demerit points in twelve (12) months : You are required to take a driver improvement course within 90 days. If you fail to complete the course within 90 days, your driving privilege will be suspended until you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">