• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer using radar illegally in Mississippi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

halo77

I live in a very small town, Raymond, in Mississippi. I was stopped last month for speeding on HWY 18, just inside the city limits but not in the town itself. The Hwy runs on the outskirts.

Anyway the officer says he clocked me going 75 in a 65. He refused to show me the radar. I took it to court, but he did not show up, and the judge told us he was at some school that they couldn't get him out of, so we would all have to return in a couple of weeks.

I contested because 1) I don't think I was speeding. 2) I read in the Mississippi code, Title 63, chapter 3 , Article 11, section 63-3-519 that is is unlawful for law enforcement to use radar on the "Pulblic streets of the municipality" unless the population was at least 2,000. The recent US census says we only have about 1600.

The judge who put our case date off directed me to a gentleman in the court, and I have no idea who he was, who laughed when I brought this fact up. He says "Well, we are contesting the census, so that will never hold up."

Is there any thing I can do to make my case stronger when I go back to court on Aug 2? There are a few other interesting facts in our traffic law and i wonder if they are applicable to this. I would appreciate any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">