• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late to HEAVE the attorney that we have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ceregan

MA - My husband's claim was denied. It is legitimate, so we hired an attorney recommended by a friend. This attorney was supposed to be 'appropriately aggressive'. We have found her and her staff to be chronically late, evasive, and non-responsive. We realize that she has to maintain a number of clients, but our calls go unreturned. If we have a question, I have to fax it to the office and wait 4-5 business days. We're very frustrated since he's been out of work 5 months and no one has told us what we might expect. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

How can we fire her and move on? We have been through 2 conciliations and await a hearing in front of a judge in September or October. (This I found out by contacting the IA board myself) How reluctant are other WC attorneys when it comes to picking up a case halfway into the game?

B

buddy2bear

Your best bet is to call another workers' comp. lawyer and ask him/her. Most attorneys don't care how they get their cases. Remember the lawyer works for you. If you are not satisfied, then consult another attorney before you get too close to the wire. That attorney will be able to tell you whether he/she can take your case and how to go about obtaining your file from your "previous" attorney. By not returning your phone calls, this attorney either has too heavy a workload and/or is derelict in her duty to offer you fair and prudent representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">