• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chasie

Florida
My son recently attended a week long church camp. While there, in the evening hours, he was kicked (private parts as well as other areas), suffocated (with a pillow), choked, held down while boys sat on his face with bare bottoms, spit on, hit (received a bloody nose), head put in the toilet, personal belongings taken to use to wipe the boys butts, then wiped on my son's face, made to wear underware on head, etc. There were five bullies in the room that ganged up on him. The church ignores these actions. What can I legally do? I am upset my child had to experience this, and no one seems to think this is wrong. HELP!
The boys were 14 & 15 years old. The youth group from our church went away to a camp that hosts several churches from the area. I was assured there would be camp counselors stationed at each cabin for supervision. When my son arrived home, he informed me of the problem. I then immediately questioned the youth group minister, and approached two of the boys involved. They denied accusations. The youth minister said he would look into it. I felt like I was being treated like an over reacting parent. Apparently there were also pictures taken of the bullying. They thought it would be funny to show my son in those humiliating positions. I was assured I would receive those pictures. I have not yet contacted the camp itself.

[Edited by Chasie on 07-21-2001 at 08:03 PM]

E

Elliotg

What you son went through is more severe than the average bullying situation. Have you complained to the church in writing? If so, what was their response? Are you sure that the church/camp personnel knew, or should have known of the abuse? How old are the kids involved?

There may be several causes of legal action available. You should confer with an attorney.

A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting your State's bar association or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee. I would be happy to meet with you.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">