• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fake autographs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rla

is it illegal to sell a fake autograph as long as you let the customer know that it is fake. Along the same line, can one sign a signature and sell it, as long as you say that the signature is fake.

JETX

Though I can't understand why someone would want to knowingly purchase a fake autograph (except to scam the next person), selling a fake autograph is okay as long as:
1) You make no representations that it is a valid autograph, AND
2) You do not infringe on a known persons 'marketable' autograph.

Bottom line... if you provide a fake autograph for "John Wilson", no problem. If you provide a fake autograph for "Michael Johnson", big problem.

In fact, I can see your 'buyer' now. When he gets arrested for fraud trying to sell "Michael Jordan's" autograph, he will tell the police, "Hey man, I bought it from 'rla' and he said it was real!". Now, the police will be looking for you. My suggestion, if you are going to sell an acknowleged FAKE autograph, make sure to include a statement "This is a fake autograph" directly above it.

racer72

In addition, the following organizations have obtained federal law approval to sue anyone selling forged or fake signatures, whether or not you let the buyer know the signature is fake. The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA, NHRA, CART, and IRL. The law states that knowingly selling fake or forged autographes is not acceptable and will be construed as an attempt to defraud the public. As an avid collector of sports merchandise, I consider your even asking the question makes you nothing more than the scum that profits illegally from the illegal practice. AND I YELL TO YOUR FACE, I HOPE YOU GET SUED AND LOSE EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT. Get another line of work, scumbag.

JETX

Racer, seriously, how do you feel about this issue?? Your reply was so 'middle of the fence', I really can't figure out which side you are on. <BOG>

Seriously, I agree completely with you, but the original poster was asking about him knowingly selling a fake to a person who knowingly was buying a fake. That transaction in itself would probably not be pursued by anyone since there wouldn't be a complainant.

And as I tried to 'tactfully' point out, the original seller would have no control over the buyers actions for reselling, and THAT would be where our poster would get in trouble.
Update to our original poster: If you don't believe your could be found guilty of fraud, don't believe it. And if you still feel that way, just the legal fees and ordeal of the trial (civil and/or criminal) would take such a toll on you that you may never get over it.

Bottom line... DON'T provide any False 'autograph' to anyone for any reason, PERIOD!! And if you still do, prepare to spend big bucks and possible years defending yourself!!!

racer72

I got burned on a fake Dale Earnhardt autograph a couple years ago. And it was exactly the same situation. The seller bought the item knowing the signature was fake then sold the item claiming it had a Dale Earnhardt signature. Of course, he never claimed it was real but the Sports Marketing Council that moniters such things as fake signature took a real dim view of the fellows sales tactics. I will be testifying for the plaintiffs in this case this coming October.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">