• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

photo ticket civil infraction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gotscrewed

i recently received notification that i have been charged with committing a civil infraction in the state of wa. i have decided to contest the "ticket" and need help with the names of documents i will need in order to make my case. i do not deny that i was the driver of the vehicle pictured speeding in a school zone. however, the school zone lights were not flashing at the time i received my ticket. even if they were, the lights would not have been visible to someone traveling in the lane of traffic i was in. it was the last day of school, and i have a feeling that the timer for the lights was scheduled for a normal school day even though the kids got out very early. i want to know the name of the document i will need to fill out for discovery of the following info, and the names of the docs that will tell me the following:

when the lights/camera were last maintained (this is a new program 3 mo old and i also need to know when the lights were placed on the sign, or when the flashing sign was put up)

what activates the lights/cameras, is it the same timer or seperate timers

when the timers for the lights and cameras were last maintained and who did the work

log of recorded malfunctions for the particular school zone

record that is used to determine when and for how long the school zone is in effect

how many other drivers were cited for violation at the same time on the same date

who the officer is that signed the infraction and what gives them the authority to do so when they are not present at the time of infraction

thank you in advance for your advice i have never contested anything like this before and i feel very strongly that the citation was issued in error. any other advice regarding this matter is greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
got screwed

racer72

Most of the information you request concerning the system used is not available to you. It is considered proprietary to the manufacturer and current laws protect the manufacturer from having to release any information about the system including how it works and problems with the system. Strike one. School zone speed restrictions are in effect in Washington state while the school is open for operation. Even though it may have been a short day for the students, the school was still open and there was still the potential for students activity in the designated school zone (300 feet in each direction from a designated crosswalk within a school zone. A school zone in defined as extending 1000 feet in either direction starting at the school property line). Strike two. In your post, you admit to speeding through the school zone. Strike three. Your out.

[Edited by racer72 on 07-22-2001 at 11:19 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">