• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California over time laws.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tomoldcars

I find that I can't paste the statutes I wanted to cite onto this post. Therefore, I'll just ask the question. I work for a small company that reciently merged with a very large company. The new parent company operates under a union contract so we were required to join. Our company specialized in emergency industrial service, specifically drives and controls. The new parent company is primarlly commercial H.V.A.C. Since emergency service on complex manufacturing equipment is, by nature, time consuming, I often work 20+ hours a day. Parent company plans the jobs in advance and their employees rarely work more then 10 hours. The conflict is that the union contract does not provide for double time as called for in the California labor code. (After 12 hours or 6 conecutive days) The code does exempt collective bargaining agreements from some of the provisions if certain standards are met, but it is not clear what is included. My time card this week showed a job starting at 5:30 A.M. and ending at 4:30 A.M. This would normally be 8 reg. 4 time & 1/2 7 double. It was adjusted to 8 reg. and 11 time & 1/2. this is about $80.00 less. This policy has cost me about $8,000 gross for the year I have been unionized compaired with the same period last year. All of us in the company are losing a lot of money and we would like to see if we have any recourse.
Thanks, Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">