• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft/polygraph test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unpredictable

(Texas) I took a computer from my workplace. The employer involved the police, but they could not find anything against anyone. My boss has said that the police will give everyone employed (5-10 people) polygraph tests. I now regret the theft, but if I return it, I know they will not call off the search and I will be caught for sure.

My question is: do I have to take the polygraph test? I am sure my not taking it will raise reasonable suspicion, but I know I will fail it if I take it. I have heard that polygraphs are not admissible in court, so therefore I may not have to take it. So is it better to take it and fail it, or not take it and claim it's my right not to take it and just have people be suspicious. Of course, even if I take it and fail it, if they cannot find the computer or any other evidence against me, they have no case, correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear this up for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">