• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer theft and Invasion of Privacy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TracyLee

I have a friend who's brother was charged with possesion of stolen property. He apparently let her use a computer that was stolen from a computer store. Now what he did was wrong and believe he should answer for that, but.....while the computer was in her possesion she had stored (not knowing the computer was stolen) many files and pictures to that computer. My question is even though the computer was stolen property....wouldnt the information on the computer still belong to her? The computer was taken and not reformated to erase any stored info so the police department where the computer is can view personal and private information on the computer that in my opinion still legally belongs to her. am I right here? Did the police invade her privacy by not allowing her to back up the info or erase it before removing the computer from her house? Somehow I dont think this right. There is alot of personal info on the computer that belongs to her including passwords to her email and login names and passwords that can be recovered from the hard drive by an experianced computer user? I would like and answer to this question? Does she have a case? Thanks!

racer72

If she has a case against anybody, it is her brother. The police do not have to allow her access to the information on the computer. It may contain evidence that could be removed or deleted. If she gets another computer from her brother, make sure he has a receipt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">