• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil problem or criminal case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mor265

I live in Pennsylvania and have been contacted by phone by a woman who has information she's using to harass me. She obtained this information by monitoring my voice mail and email. This woman is an executive in Verizon's corporate headquarters.

I only want her to leave me alone.
But should I just contact an attorney - or do I report this as a crime, and to who?

T

Third Party

Just report her to the company.

Speak with Verizon. Workers in communications have confidentiality agreements. They are not allowed to disclose certain information. Avoid court when you can settle things out of it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What's the gist of the information she's using to harass you ? How do you know she's with Verizon ? What is she saying or asking for ? Is she extorting you ? Is she making threats ? Does she know people that you know ? Is there some conversation she knows about concerning illegal activities on your part ?

Pennsylvania
18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5703 (1999): It is a felony to intercept any wire, oral or electronic communication without the consent of all participants, and it also is a felony to disclose the contents of a communication when there is reason to know those contents were obtained through an illegal interception.

Anyone whose communication has been unlawfully intercepted can recover the greater of actual damages, $100 per day of violation or $1,000, and also can recover punitive damages, litigation costs and attorney fees. 18 Pa. Const. Stat.§ 5725 (1999).

A trial court has held that a communication protected by the legislation is one in which there is an expectation that it will not be recorded by any electronic device, rather than one in which there is a general expectation of privacy. Thus, the fact that a participant may believe he will have to reveal the contents of a communication, or that other parties may repeat the contents, does not necessarily mean that he would have expected that it would be recorded, and it is the expectation that the communication would not be recorded that triggers the wiretapping law's protections. Pennsylvania v. McIvor, 670 A.2d 697 (Pa. Super. Ct. 1996), petition for appeal denied, 692 A.2d 564 (Pa. 1997).

IAAL

M

mor265

thanks so much for the quick responses
I have spoken to verizon and was able to reach someone in the corporate office who took my complaint and said she would get back to me.
There's no extortion but the first call was to advise me she was aware of a relationship i had with her husband who she is divorcing. The second call was made to my husband. So I do feel threatened. And from what she told me and my husband, the information could only have been obtained by listening to my voice mail (I subscribe to verizon) or reading my email. No illegal activity, I've never used an attorney for anything but my will - and less contact with police

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">