• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills & Probrate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindapebo

Step-Granddaughter Taking Inheritance Of Five Children

My step-dad has just gone into the hospice program. My mom passed away in 1998. At that time, her and my step-dads will read that I would get 1/2 of the estate and my 3 step-brothers and 1 step-sister would get the other half, to be divided between them. The reason being, my biological father passed away in 1959 leaving a house and lot fully paid for. It was to be signed over to me when I turned 18. My father wanted to insure I always had a place to live. When my mom married my step-dad, they torn down the small house and built a larger one. Two years ago, my dad's step-grandaughter, 34 years old and had not been around the family for years, was without a home or job. My step-dad agreed to let her live with him and pay for her schooling if she took care of him. She has since alienated most of the family from going to see my dad and he as turned against everyone who has been around for the past 40 years. He has changed his will and is leaving her as the executor. The last I heard I was getting 1/3 of the estate and she was getting 2/3. No mention of any of my dad's kids. Is there anyway we can stop her from inheiriting everthing but the 1/3? Please reply at [email protected] Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

ALawyer

It is always sad when a lost kid comes in from nowhere and starts befriending a dying parent as everyone suspects it is to get the estate, and often it is.

I suggest that you read the material on Will Contests on FreeAdvice under Wills and Probate -- usually the ability to show "undue influence" or coercion is difficult -- and sometime anyone who contests is cut out completely. Here fortunately if the step kids contest they have nothing to lose -- you do -- the 1/3rd rather than the 1/2 you'd have gotten.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">