• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much can an employer learn?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kckern

I was recently convicted of DUI in Florida (first offense) and although I wanted to keep this fact from my employer, I had to tell them because they run regular DMV checks anyway. I only told them that I got a DUI, I id not disclose any other details (i.e. whether there was an accident, how high the BAC was, etc.) Are my rights to privacy protected? Or can they learn every detail of the incident?

K

kyleabu

Your employer can easily find out. It is a matter of public record. All that is required it to go to the district Court, pull up your name, ssn... and it will pull up any and all arrests. From there they can have your case jacket pulled and review the entire police report and obtain all the information they want concerning your arrest. Sorry, it, however, is a matter of public record and the Freedom of Information Act governs this very area and allows your employer, neighbor or anyone access to this information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">