• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bryn674

My dad passed 2 yrs ago. My siblings and I have tried to contact his wife in order to obtain out grandmother's belongings. These items were given to my father after she passed away. His wife wants nothing to do with us. She will not talk to us and we are not welcome in OUR father's house. My father and his wife have no children toghther. Is there anyway possible we can get these items from her? Even if we have to go to court, whatever it takes.
By the way I live in OH

ALawyer

First of all, you were heirs at law of your father, as was your wicked step-mother. If he had any assets in his OWN name (not in JOINT TENANCY or in a TRUST), they pass according to his Will -- if he had one. The Will would have had to go through probate and you would have had the right toi examine it and possibly to object. If he had no Will you'd inherit a share of his estate -- the percentage depends on his state's laws.

You do NOT have an automatic right to Grandma's stuff , despite the fact that she was your grandmother. If your Dad inherited it it was his. He could have given it to his wife before death, or left it to her in a Will, or given it to the local charity or junkyard.

I'd suggest you consult a lawyer who does Wills and Probate in your father's locale and get some advice. It should cost a few hundred dollars upfront. A letter from a lawyer can often get matters settled faster and cheaper than going to court right off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">