• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never buy a Ford at Carmax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bilia

I made the mistake of buying a Taurus. Recently the water-pump leaked (second one in 9 months) and the engine died. The pump was under manufacturer's warranty, and Ford agreed to replace it. Both the pump and the engine are covered by my Carmax extended warranty, but Carmax says that since the pump is also covered by Ford, that makes it a NON-COVERED part, a stipulation not mentioned in the warranty. Ford says that in buying their crappy water-pumps, I agreed that their liability should not extend beyond that particular part, which I feel is a bit unfair considering that I had no choice but to buy a Ford part without nullifying my extended warranty. Is the pump really not covered when it is explicitly mentioned in the Carmax agreement as a covered part, and can Ford really sell me a part that destroys my car and only be liable for that one lousy part? I hate both of these companies bitterly. Is there any chance I could sue one or both of them and end up with a nice Japanese car with a sunroof and CD player and no mechanical issues?

bethbrowning

Read carefully what you sign

Just a little word to the wise. When you read any extended warranty contract, ignore any pressure you feel to rush through things on the sales floor. Only sign it after you understand everything. Read everything, ask questions. And your manufacturer's warranty ALWAYS kicks in before your extended warranty does. Educate yourself before buying a car. Or come in and ask the sales person scenario questions, "what happens if." If they don't have the answer, they can get you in touch with someone who does. As for contract law, you've probably already got your answer. No lawsuit here. You just have to educate yourself about car service and how your extended warranty works. It is just a fact of life. With cars come repairs. Extended warranty doesn't pay for everything, and neither does the manufacturer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just a little word to the wise. When you read any extended warranty contract, ignore any pressure you feel to rush through things on the sales floor. Only sign it after you understand everything. Read everything, ask questions. And your manufacturer's warranty ALWAYS kicks in before your extended warranty does. Educate yourself before buying a car. Or come in and ask the sales person scenario questions, "what happens if." If they don't have the answer, they can get you in touch with someone who does. As for contract law, you've probably already got your answer. No lawsuit here. You just have to educate yourself about car service and how your extended warranty works. It is just a fact of life. With cars come repairs. Extended warranty doesn't pay for everything, and neither does the manufacturer.
Good advice posted to a thread that's 6-1/2 years old :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">