• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my share?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joseph17

My grandmother died almost 2 years ago, October 1999. She had a will which, I believe, divided her estate among her 3 children. 2 of her 3 children are the co-executors, and the other was my mother, who pre-deceased her in May 1999. It is my understanding that the 1/3 share my mother would have received, should now go to my mother's children (I am one of 3 children).

I have on a number of occasions over the 2 years, asked my Aunt and Uncle (co-executors) about the estate, and they give me vague answers, such as the estate is not settled yet.

How do I "force" them to give me an accounting of the estate, and ultimately my share of what my mother would have received?Although I have a somewhat friendly relationship with them, I don't think it is a very honest one!

Thanks!

Joe/NJ
p.s. I believe my Grandmother's will was probated in PA, although she died in NJ.

JETX

First thing you should do would be to contact the court that handled the probate and get a copy of the will and file. That will tell you a lot about the status and what should have happened.

Then, assuming that your mother was in fact a beneficiary, you will need to have your mothers executor find out the status of the inherited assets.

Probate law is not for the meek or mild. Have the executor talk with a probate attorney in your area to determine what rights your mothers estate has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">